Praying with Jesus: Psalms of Praise
When I think about praying with Jesus, one place we can do that is in praying the Psalms. They were the prayer and hymnal for God’s people and Jesus in his lifetime. Here is one of the many types of Psalms.
- O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens.
- From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger.
- When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
- what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?
- You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor.
- You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet:
- all flocks and herds, and the beasts of the field,
- the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas.
- O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
This is a psalm of praise. It looks at the universe and sees the glory of the one who made it all. It then contemplates how the maker of the universe could care so much for man, for humanity? We find that message even more in the life and death of Jesus who showed the full extent of his love for us. How majestic is the name of Jesus.
We pray. Lord Jesus, fill our lives with wonder and awe at all that you have done. Thank you for blessing us, even more than we could ever imagine in Jesus. How majestic is your name in the earth and in my life. Amen.